One of the greatest gifts I ever received when I was a young girl was a brand new box of crayons. Usually every holiday season my mom would give me a new box of crayons and a couple of holiday coloring books. For such a simple gift it gave me great pleasure.
Even though I’m not longer a child I still enjoy coloring. Believe it or not my husband and I have been known to sit down at the coffee table and just start coloring. We have several holiday coloring books and I think my husband and I must have colored in more pages then my kids have. We especially like images that have a lot of details to them. We also share the same box of crayons, which is in pristine condition, compared to the crayons my kids use (they always break them).
Did you know that Crayola crayons have gone high tech? It’s true! Crayola has a new application for the iPad called ColorStudio HD. It turns your iPad into an interactive coloring book and features some of the most beloved Crayola crayon colors.
I have a couple of coloring applications on our iPad, but NOTHING compares to the Crayola ColorStudio HD application. With this application things come alive and it features music, sound effects and other special surprises.
Crayola even has a really cool device called an iMarker that is like a marker for the iPad. It doesn’t leave a mark on the iPad, it just works within the Crayola ColorStudio HD application.
You can choose from 64 colors in the digital Crayola crayon box and then use the iMarker to create the look of Crayola crayons, markers, paints and colored pencils as the stylus interacts with an iPad. The digital coloring pages respond with movement and sound as the pages come alive as kids color. It’s really cool!
Your child can save their artwork and can e-mail it to family and friends, print it out or upload it to Facebook (with a parent’s permission of course).
Children can even play games, draw free hand or create their own coloring pages that they can print out and color with “real” crayons.
The application is free at the iTunes App Store with the purchase of the iMarker for $29.99 at Toys R Us, Best Buy, the Apple Store and www.griffintechnology.com. The iMarker is recommended for children ages 3+. It comes with batteries and a FREE download of the ColorStudio HD application.
Another cool “high tech” product that Crayola has available is called Crayola Story Studio. The Crayola Story Studio turns your child into a coloring book character. It’s the coolest thing!
Currently there are three different Crayola Story Studio “kits”.
- Crayola Story Studio: Spider-Man lets kids upload a photo and transform themselves into a superhero that stars with Spider-Man in personalized comic book they create and color. A free access code inside the kit unlocks the Story Studio application at Crayola.com/storystudio. Kids can choose a super power, story-line, and one of six villains to battle alongside Spider-Man in their own web-slinging adventure. When they finish their story, they can save it, share it or print and color it. The kit includes paper, glossy cover sheets for printing comic book-style covers, binding strips and 15 Twistables colored pencils to create three complete books.
- Story Studio: Disney Princesses lets kids star in a fairytale with a Disney Princess. Crayola Story Studio: Disney Princess lets kids create fairytales starring them and a Disney Princess! Kids upload a photo to transform themselves into a character, then create a story with their character and a Disney Princess! Story Studio includes everything kids need to create personalized storybooks and unlimited coloring pages – just print, color and bind the pages. They can choose storylines from Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, Tangled, Sleeping Beauty, and Princess and the Frog. With the free on-line access code that comes inside, Pip-Squeaks markers and glitter glue, blank sheets and binding strips, kids create three complete story books!
- Story Studio Adventure Maker: Cars 2 lets kids join the pages of a story with Lightning McQueen, Mator and the Cars 2 characters form Disney Pixar. The set includes 10 Pip-Squeak Skinnies markers, 3 Pip Squeak broad line markers, 2 Pip-Squeak glitter glue tubes, 30 story sheets, 6 glossy cover sheets and 3 comic binding strips to make three complete story books.
How much would you pay for this awesome technology? $40? $30? $25? How about only $9.99 per kit! WOW!
These kits would make a perfect holiday gift AND it won’t “break the bank” either.
I’m currently trying to make a book for my nephew with the Story Studio: Spider-Man kit. I am making him a coloring book. It took a bit to find the right photo to use but I think it’s going to turn out perfect when I’m finally done with it. I think a personalized gift like this is a lot more enjoyable then some random toy I picked up from the toy store. Plus he can keep it and read it like a book too.
I love that the kits have everything you need to create a fun coloring book, including the binding strips (they are a little tricky to work with but I finally got it right).
All of the new Crayola products are a lot of fun. It’s nice to see that Crayola can move forward with the technology while still holding on to the products we grew up with.
Crayola products are sold at many retail locations across the country.
To learn more about these and other Crayola products visit www.Crayola.com.
Crayola and MyBlogSpark have generously offered an awesome prize package featuing these high tech products. The prize includes:
- Crayola Story Studio: Spider-Man
- Crayola Story Studio Disney Princesses
- Crayola Story Studio: Cars
- Crayola iMarker for use with the iPad
- FREE download of the ColorStudio HD application for the iPad
To enter please comment on which of these new products most excites you and who the prize package would be for.
For extra entries you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each that you have done. Extra entries are optional.
- Subscribe to She Scribes (E-mail or RSS). Both options are found on the right side bar.
- “Like” Crayola on Facebook, www.Facebook.com/Crayola.
- “Like” She Scribes on Facebook, www.Facebook.com/SheScribes.
- Follow Crayola on Twitter, www.Twitter.com/Crayola.
- Follow She Scribes on Twitter (www.Twitter.com/She_Scribes) and tweet about this review and/or giveaway. Please include @She_Scribes in the tweet so I can see it too. This is limited to three tweets per day.
- Share this review and/or giveaway with others on Facebook, Digg, Technorati and so forth. Be sure to tell me what you did and please provide a name and/or URL so I can verify.
- Leave a thoughtful comment on a non-giveaway post on She Scribes and tell me which post you commented on. There is a limit of one comment per post, but you can comment on as many posts as you want for an unlimited extra entry option.
- Post about this review and/or giveaway on your site and please link back to this post. Please provide the URL.
This giveaway is open to US residents only and will end on December 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM (EST). The winner will be chosen at random using a random number generator from all eligible entries. The winner will be notified via e-mail and will have three days to reply with a name and mailing address (no PO Box). Failure to do so will result in a new winner being chosen.
Other great giveaways can be found on the right side bar under “Win It”.
*The Crayola High Tech Holiday prize pack, product information and prize pack for giveaway have been provided by Crayola through MyBlogSpark. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own.