Living in a top floor condo does have it’s advantages. It would be difficult for anyone to climb up the building to get into our condo from the sliding glass doors (and good luck trying to get past my dog who barks at EVERY moment). We also have plenty of neighbors in our building, so any stranger that enters the building will surely be noticed. None the less crime does happen, especially in the parking lot (plenty of stolen cars and break-ins).
Now that we’re looking into buying a house, home security has weighed heavily on my mind. Home break ins happen in every town in every state. I think about that A LOT when we look at possible houses to buy. I want something that is going to be safe for my family.
Here are some pretty scary facts about break ins and burglaries. Knowing statistics like this make it even more important that my husband and I look into home alarm systems. I honestly think that is going to be our first purchase once we buy a house.
- The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that close to 3.2 million homes and vehicles are burglarized in the United States every year.
- 60% of those break-ins occur during the day, when it’s assumed the occupants are away at work. While reassuring, that still leaves 40% of break-ins occurring in the evening or early morning hours when we’re often home…and vulnerable.
- A Rutgers University study found that burglars are most active during July, August, and September. Burglars are also most likely to break into a home on a Monday and least likely to break into a home during the weekend.
My friend Lee at MySentimentExactLee.com was a victim of a home break in. Reading about her experience and what the burglars did to her home scared me A LOT. That is why I am adamant about getting a security system in place for our new home ASAP. I don’t want to take any chances. Having a dog is not enough to protect you. Lee has two dogs and the burglars were still have to ransacked her home and steal from her with both dogs inside the home. My family happens to have a little dog. He has a big bark but he’s small none the less and no match for an intruder.
Having stickers on your windows and a sign on your yard that your home is protected is not enough protection either. I know several people who have such things around there home but they don’t have a working alarm system. That is not enough of a deterrent for would be criminals. If you have stickers and signs around your home that your home is protected make sure you are telling the truth.
The Home Security Store has a FANTASTIC free guide that offers A LOT of valuable information. The most important thing I learned from the guide is that you need to have a plan for all the possible scenarios, such as what to do if you come home and find someone in your home and what do do if you are home when an intruder breaks in. More importantly you need to discuss your plan with the entire family. It might be a bit more difficult to discuss this with younger children without scaring them, but you should teach the importance of locking their bedroom door and hiding someplace safe just in case.
I have two teenagers. To be honest with you I’m not sure if they would know what to do if there was a break in, especially if they were home alone or with each other. The guide inspired me to plan a discussion with my family on what to do in the event our home is compromised by an intruder.
I would strongly recommend everyone taking a few moments to read the security guide. It’s a real “eye opener”. You can find the .PDF file here, http://bit.ly/Oasles (I shortened the link to make it easier).
The guide is written by the Home Security Store (HomeSecurityStore.com). If you are in the market for products to make your home safe for you and your family, from security cameras to drive way alarms, the Home Security Store has got you covered. They carry top name brands too including Honeywell, GE and Viscomic. They have complete home security “kits” that range in price from $60 – $500+, which means they have systems to suit most any budget. They even offer alarm monitoring services for as little as $8.95 a month. That really impressed me because I was concerned that monitoring services would be $50+ a month. The $8.95/mo is certainly very budget friendly.
Have YOU ever been the victim of burglary or break in? If so, do you have any tips, advice or suggestions you would like to offer other readers? If so please feel free to leave a comment. I always love to hear from my readers.
Do YOU have a security system in place? How are you going about protecting your home? Do you have a family plan in place in case of an intruder?