Now available on Blu-ray (with digital download) is the 20th Anniversary edition of The Muppet Christmas Carol, just in time for the holiday season.
Wow. I can’t believe this film came out 20 years ago! The first time I saw it was on VHS (remember that format?) about 12+ years ago. I actually won it from Ebay. We have several Muppet movies (back then on VHS, nowadays on Blu-ray or DVD). I wanted to add that movie to our collection too, even though I had never seen it before. As soon as the VHS tape arrived we watched it and fell in love with it. When I learned that it was going to be re-released on Blu-ray I knew I had to add it to our collection.
The Muppet Christmas Carol is a “Muppet-ized” version of the classic holiday tale. It features Michael Cain as Ebenezer Scrooge. The rest of the film’s characters are played by Muppet characters.
A Christmas Carol is an amazing story to begin with. The Muppet version is just downright hysterical. Only Jim Henson could take a rather gloomy story (until the end) and turn it into a fun, family friendly, comedy.
I don’t have to tell you the story of A Christmas Carol. I’m pretty sure that everyone knows about the infamous Scrooge.
It was fun to see the Muppets play the other characters in the film. They even added other characters that are not seen in any other version.
There is a lot of typical Muppet slap-stick humor in this film, and often the background characters (or minor characters) are just as funny, if not more so, then the main characters.
To give you an idea of how funny the film is, even my hard to amuse teenagers were laughing. 🙂
Here are a few clips from the film for your enjoyment. If you are reading this via e-mail you might want to visit this post on my site to see all the clips.
The bonus features are just as entertaining as the actual film. I know that sometimes people overlook bonus features, but you should really check these out. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did.
- Disney Intermission: A Brand new Bonus Feature, when the movie is paused fans can watch and “cluck-along” to five classic yuletide tunes with the The Muppets Chickens and friends.
- Audio Commentary: Audio commentary with some of your fave characters including Rizzo, Gonzo, Kermit and more, the commentary takes you behind-the-scenes to show you how the Muppet magic happens.
- Frogs, Pigs and Humbug – Unwrapping a New Holiday Classic: Director Brian Henson, along with Rizzo and Gonzo show you how The Muppet Christmas Carol was made.
- On the Set Blooper Reel
- Pepe Profiles Gonzo: “Portrait of the Artist as a Young Weirdo”: A look at the man, the myth, the legend that is The Great Gonzo hosted by the one and only Pepe the Prawn.
- Christmas Around the World: Gonzo and Rizzo take you on an adventure to see how Christmas is celebrated around the world.
I love the behind the scenes bonus feature. I always love to get a sneak peek at the craziness that went on behind the scenes. And when you are making a film with the Muppets you know it’s going to get crazy!
The blooper reel is one of my favorite bonus features too. They are usually funny but you know when it comes to the Muppets you are going to get something a bit more then just your average goof up.
I also enjoyed the Christmas Around the World feature. I love learning about different cultures and traditions and what a better way to learn then with a Muppet being your “travel guide”.
Look for the 20th Anniversary edition of The Muppet Christmas Carol on Blu-ray with Digital Download where ever films are sold.
Here is a little something extra – some holiday cheer from the Muppets. You can also check out the video here, http://bit.ly/Ucxrx1.
*I received a free screener copy in order to do this review. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own.