Quantcast

3 Simple Tips for Conserving Water (giveaway ends 4/30/13)

image description

 

With today being Earth Day I thought I would share some tips with you that you can do TODAY (and every day as well) that will help make an impact on our environment.

One issue that we have in our home with my teenagers is conserving water. I’m always on their case about taking long showers (even though I am always knocking on the door telling them to hurry up) and leaving the water running when they are brushing their teeth or doing dishes.

When they were little I would tell them that whenever they waste water they are killing a Polar Bear. That worked for a while but now that they are old they are not as easily tricked.

The Earth is made up of 71% water (29% land). Of that amount of water 97.5% of it is salt water that cannot be used for human consumption. The remaining 2.5% of water if freshwater. A whopping 69% of the freshwater is found in the ice located at in the polar regions. That leaves 31%, which is found in rivers, lakes and streams. The water in the river, lakes and streams is not for human consumption either. So when you think about how much drinking water is truly available fore ALL of Earth’s inhabitants, it puts conserving water in a whole new perspective. (percentages are per UniverseToday.com).

By conserving water you are not only preserving drinking water but also lessening the burden of waste water treatment plants to clean the water again.

Conserving water also helps save on energy and saves money too, especially for those who rely on water treatment plants and not a well.

WaterSavers, a consumer awareness campaign from the International Carwash Association (ICA), has some great tips you should consider in effort to save water.

WaterSavers

WaterSavers is committed to promoting the importance of using eco-friendly car washes that use less fresh water and return clean water back into the environment.

1. How to Be Green and Clean Your Driving Machine – Keeping your car clean with regular washing is an important part of responsible maintenance, but washing at home with a garden hose can use more than 60 gallons of water in as little as five minutes. Furthermore, you’re putting harmful chemicals and detergents down storm sewers and that ends up polluting our rivers and streams.

You may be surprised to learn there is a greener way to keep your car sparkling: a professional car wash. A common misconception is that professional car washes waste water, when in fact the opposite is true. WaterSavers professional car washes, for example, use an average of no more than 40 gallons of fresh water per vehicle – less than the average home washing machine, which uses 41 gallons per load, according to the EPA. Professional car washes also responsibly dispose of — and in many cases recycle and re-use — the water runoff.

2. Go Green and Keep Your Whites White – It’s easy to take steps to conserve H2O and keep your wardrobe fresh. First, only run the clothes washer when you have a full load. Make this habit for both your clothes washer and dishwasher, and you can save up to 1,000 gallons of water a month, according to Wateruseitwisely.com.

You get extra green points if you use cold water when washing your clothes. Approximately 86 percent of the energy used by washing machines is for heating the water. Washing with cold water eliminates 1,600 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions each year from just one household, according to the Sierra Club.

3. Break Bad Bathroom Habits – Bathrooms are water hogs, accounting for about 75 percent of a home’s water usage. Adopting a green mindset in the bathroom can save major water and money. Start by switching to a low-flow shower head, which National Geographic says saves 15 gallons of water during a 10-minute shower. Keep the occasional bath for a special treat because the average tub takes about 70 gallons to fill, so showers are much more efficient.

For more information about WaterSavers please visit http://WashwithWatersavers.com. You can als check them out on Facebook and Twitter.

These are some great tips. I’m sure readers have some other great tips they would like to share. Feel free to comment and let me know.

3 Simple Tips for Conserving Water

WaterSavers would like to award a lucky reader a special WaterSavers prize package. The prize package includes;

  • Tote Bag
  • Folding Umbrella
  • 22 oz. Guzzy Water Bottle (filtering water bottle)
  • Jelly Stick Non-Slip Grip for Car Dash
  • 16 oz. ThermalView Insulated Travel Tumbler

This giveaway is open to US residents only and will end on April 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM (EST). The winner will be chosen at random using a random number generator from all eligible entries. The winner will be notified via e-mail and will have three days to respond or a new winner will be chosen in their place.

To enter please comment on this post and tell me how you and your family try and conserve water?

For extra entries you can use the Rafflecopter widget (below) but you must complete the initial entry requirement or the additional entries won’t qualify (I do check). Extra entries are optional.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Kimberly

*I am working with the International Carwash Association to share these tips for conserving water. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it with others, leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed or e-mail. ♥

Related Posts:

About Kimberly

Kimberly Vetrano resides in the suburbs of New York City with her family, five cats, dog, a tank full of fish and snails. She is also a freelance writer and photographer.

Comments

  1. We don’t take baths – just showers, and we make them quick!

  2. we bought energy efficent items in the bathroom—

  3. carol roberts says:

    we catch rain water to water some of the gardern

  4. shannon Baas says:

    we let #1 set until more than 1 person has gone.

  5. I take short showers with a water saving shower head, use HE washer and only do laundry when I have a full load. I also turn off the water when brushing my teeth.

  6. We’ve installed better faucets on our sinks that use less water.

  7. I installed a showerhead, that uses less water.

  8. Lenora Driskel says:

    We have an efficient toilet and shower head. Honestly I really need to keep on the kids about it better.

  9. Megan Cromes says:

    we take showers instead of baths…less waste …

  10. Katherine Donovan says:

    I try to make sure I have a full load of laundry. In the past, I would wash 1/2 loads…..what a waste of water

  11. Debra Hall says:

    set the washer on the right setting by the size of load

  12. Desiree Dunbar says:

    We shut the water off when we are brushing our teeth and when I am washing the dishes by hand I shut the water off when I am washing and then limit the rinse time.

  13. Cynthia R says:

    we have a rain barrell for yard water and low flow shower heads

  14. Dalores Lounds says:

    We have a shower head that saves water and take short showers. We also don’t leave the water on when we brush our teeth.

  15. Les Johnson says:

    We don’t let the water run while brushing our teeth.

  16. Les Johnson says:

    I shared on Facebook.

  17. Dorothy Teel says:

    We try to conserve water by not taking as long of showers, by putting a bucket in my shower for when the water runs to get hot (my shower is a long way from the hote water heater and takes a while for hote water to get to our shower) so the bucket collects some of the water and i use it for mopping the floor or for watering the garden plants.. At least all of it does not go down the drain. One day I want a pont of use hot water heater.. But until then this is my best solution…

  18. Austin Baroudi says:

    We turn the water off while we wash dishes and brush out teeth!

  19. We turn off the water while brushing our teeth, installed a low flow toilet and changed our shower heads.

  20. natalie nichols says:

    We try to conserve water by turning off the faucet when we brush our teeth and by taking short showers