As a parent I have always been concerned about my children swallowing something dangerous or potentially fatal. From buttons to cleanings supplies, I have always made sure to keep harmful things away from my children and pets.
When my son was around 5 or 6 he swallowed a glass marble. My husband and I freaked out! The pediatrician told us not to worry. As long as he wasn’t having trouble breathing he would be OK. The doctor wasn’t concerned, but we sure were. We took turns that night watching him sleep just to make sure something didn’t happen and he stopped breathing in his sleep. It’s been about 8 or 9 years now and we have yet to know what happened to the marble. I’m sure it must have come out, but, we don’t know for certain.
There are so many potentially hazardous things around your home that children can easily swallow. I remember we had a small plastic tube that had the opening equal to the opening size of a child’s throat. My husband and I went around our home and dropped things into the tube to see what would, or would not, fit. We were shocked to see just how many things could go into a child’s mouth and throat.
One such deadly chocking hazard are coin lithium batteries and button cell batteries. Just yesterday my daughter found a button cell battery on the floor. It must have been in the cup we keep the pens and pencils in. I had accidently knocked it off my desk. Thankfully my daughter found it. I’m sure our dog would have swallowed it if he found it first.
I have written about the dangers of coin lithium batteries before. This time last year I wrote about the new child resistant packaging from Energizer on all their coin lithium batteries. You can read the post here – Energizer First to Introduce Safe New Child-Resistant Packaging for Coin Lithium Batteries. I even wrote another post warning parents, grandparents and caregiver about how dangerous coin lithium batteries can be – An important warning for parents, grandparents and caregivers.
Coin lithium batteries can be found in a variety of household objects including remote controls, battery operated candles, car keys, bathroom scales, calculators and even musical/talking greeting cards and talking children’s books.
It’s possible that your child could swallow a button cell battery and not even know it. The battery could cause coughing, drooling and discomfort and could mimic a childhood illness. That means a child could go untreated which puts the child at risk for serious complications and damage.
Check out this must-see video.
A child can DIE from ingesting a coin lithium battery, or have a permanent life-long injury.
Here are the four important safety tips when it comes to coin lithium batteries.
Store devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children.
Secure the battery compartments of devices.
Select battery packaging that meets federal guidelines for child resistance, such as Energizer’s coin lithium battery packaging.
Share this information with your friends and family.
Check out this eye opening Infographic.
Packaging is very important too. Just like you wouldn’t want a child to remove the battery from a device, you also don’t want a child to be easily able to remove the batteries from store bought packaging.
The CPSC imposes strict guidelines to determine if a packaging qualifies as effectively child-resistant. The packaging is tested with groups of children ages 42-51 months and also with senior adults ages 50-70. For a package to be child-resistant, a total of 80% of the children tested must not open the package in a full 10 minutes of testing. To make sure that adults are able to use a child-resistant package properly, 90% of adults tested have up to five minutes, and then another minute in a second test, to open and close the package (if applicable) so that it is child-resistant again.
Energizer sent me a package of their coin lithium batteries and a competitor’s coin lithium batteries to see how easy it was for me to open up the packaging. If it’s easy enough for me it would be easy for a child.
The competitor’s packaging was easy to tear with my hands. I might be a bit stronger than a baby or toddler, but none the less I was able to get into the packaging with little to no effort on my part. I was also able to open it up in a matter of about 30 seconds. The package is made from a thin cardboard which was easy to tear.
The Energizer package is made out of plastic. On the back I can see circle areas where the batteries are. I assumed I could pop them out the same way you might pop a pill off a “blister sleeve”, but that was not the case. I tugged and pulled at the package with no luck. I even twisted it back and forth several times and tried to bend it. There was no way this package was going to open.
I like that Energizer put a small sticker on the back of each battery warning people about the dangers of coin lithium batteries.
When it comes to safety, Energizer created the safest packaging available. I wish more battery companies would follow in their footsteps.
Energizer would love to send a lucky reader a special prize package. The prize package includes:
- Two (2) packages of Energizer Coin Lithium batteries
- One (1) Energizer LED Nightlight (winner’s choice between Sleeping Beauty or Cars)
- One (1) Energizer Weatheready 2-in-1 LED Light
Thank you Energizer!
This giveaway is open to US residents only and will end on September 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM (EST). The winner will be chosen at random using a random number generator from all eligible entries. The winner will be notified via e-mail and will have three days to reply or a new winner will be chosen in their place.
To enter please comment on this post and tell me how you keep coin lithium batteries and other potentially harmful things out of the hands of little ones?
For extra entries you can use the Rafflecopter widget (below) but you must complete the initial entry requirement or the additional entries won’t qualify (I do check). Extra entries are optional.
*I received free product samples in order to do this review. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own and not influenced in any way. Energizer will be providing the prize package.