The weather is getting colder and colder. Just this morning I had to scrape ice off of my car. Blah! I’m not ready for winter yet. Especially when I have to scrap ice and snow off my car just to drive my kids to the bus stop at 6:45 AM. All that scraping and shoveling just to drive the to the bus stop and back. They could walk but our daughter has Raynaud’s Disease and she shouldn’t be out in the bitter cold.
When the weather outside is “frightful” I like to stay toasty warm inside. Sometimes that is accomplished with a piping hot mugful of my favorite beverages – coffee, tea or hot cocoa.
Everyone in my family enjoys hot cocoa, especially with a handful of mini marshmallows on top. Just writing about it makes me want to make some right now. 🙂
Did you know that you can jazz up a plain mug of hot chocolate just by adding a few simple ingredients? In the past I have used candy canes to make a peppermint hot chocolate. I have also dropped in a piece of chocolate to make it more chocolate tasting.
Milk Unleashed came up with a cool calendar (no pun intended) with 31 hot chocolate recipes – one for every day this month. Most of them sound really good too. Best of all you can print out the calendar so you can keep it handy on your fridge.
Here is the information for your enjoyment as well as a few ideas you can get started on today.
When it’s cold outside, thoughts turn to hot chocolate – and the perfect time to think about jazzing up the typical hot chocolate. The experts at Milk Unleashed point out that it’s just as easy to make an extra special mug of delicious, nutritious hot chocolate. They’ve compiled a simple hot chocolate idea for every day of the month, inspiring moms to try flavors like marshmallow, toasted coconut, peppermint or peanut butter – all featured in a downloadable Cow Calendar. There are even a few “moms only” recipes! The good news – while it’s a sweet, festive treat – hot chocolate that’s made from real, Grade A shelf safe milk is packed with protein, vitamins, calcium and other minerals. Stock up on shelf safe milk so you’re always ready to whip up a hot drink everyone loves.
Milk Unleashed is an educational campaign aimed at families to let them know about shelf safe milk. It is real milk that is ultra pasteurized, packaged in a shelf safe Tetra Pak carton (similar to a juice or soup carton) and doesn’t require refrigeration until opened (no preservatives added). It’s great when families are on the go, and handy to keep plenty in the pantry to avoid running out of milk just when the family is craving a tasty mug of hot chocolate.
A few delicious ideas. For all 31, click here.
- Add marshmallows as you’re heating the chocolate milk and let them totally dissolve for a thick, gooey treat. Float a few more on top.
- Still have Halloween candy hanging around? Drop a mini bar (one without nuts) and let it melt into deliciousness.
- Cinnamon sticks are always handy this time of year. Infuse your hot chocolate with a stick or two.
- Kids like hazelnut almost as much as peanut butter. Stir in a spoonful of the chocolate-hazelnut spread.
- Try the un-chocolate hot milk. Just warm some milk and flavor with honey and cinnamon.
- Puree a half banana for each cup and stir into the hot chocolate. Garnish with a bit of whipped cream and banana chip.
- Stir in a peppermint stick for a classic, holiday flavor. Then rim the mug with crushed peppermints.
- While adults are drinking hot toddies…make hot toffees for the kids…stir some butterscotch chips into hot milk.
What do you think of the ideas? Do any of the stand out to you as something you want to try and make right away? Do you have a favorite hot cocoa recipe you’d like to share?
*I was not compensated for this post. I shared this with permission for the enjoyment of my site readers. Any opinions expressed are my own and not influenced in any way.