Available today on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD is the mega-hit movie from Marvel Studios – Doctor Strange.
Doctor Strange stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tilda Swinton, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Michael Stuhlbarg and Benjamin Bratt.
Normally I’d give you a brief synopsis of a film in my own words. This film is a bit more complicated to explain in a brief amount of time (not to mention I have no clue how to properly spell many of the names). For that reason I’ll use the brief synopsis from the studio.
From Marvel Studios comes Doctor Strange, the story of world-famous neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), whose life changes forever after a horrific car accident renders his hands useless. When traditional medicine fails him, he travels to the remote Kamar-Taj in search of a cure, but instead discovers the mystical arts and becomes a powerful sorcerer battling dark forces bent on destroying our reality.
Check out the film’s trailer. This is the theatrical trailer – the movie it’s self is now available for home viewing.
As you can see, the film has some incredible special effects. At times I was more in awe of the effects than what was being said or done on the screen. The special effects totally blew my mind.
This film is a bit “trippy.” It reminds me of a cross between The Matrix and Inception.
Admittedly I did get lost in the story here and there. In my defense, I’ve been sick with Bronchitis and on pain medication for Sciatica. That could be why I got a bit lost. My husband watched the film with me and was able to keep up with everything happening on the screen and the story line. He was able to keep me up on what was going on.
When I first heard that Benedict Cumberbatch was being cast in the role of Doctor Strange, I thought it was a strange choice (no pun intended). But after watching the movie it seems as if the role was made for him. He played his character flawlessly.
Tilda Swinton was also a great casting choice. That woman is like a chameleon. She can pull off ANY role, no matter how unusual it is. She has a very androgynous look to her. She can pull off being female, male or something in between. I was very impressed with her role/character in this film too.
Overall I found the film to be incredibly entertaining (seriously… the special effects are mind blowing!). I would recommend not watching it when you are not feeling well or hyped up on medication (ha ha).
Of course the film comes with plenty of worth-watching special features. There are NO bonus features with the DVD – only Blu-ray and digital download.
DIGITAL HD & BLU-RAY:
- A Strange Transformation – Open your eye to a new dimension of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and see how the filmmakers brought one of comic books’ greatest characters to life.
- Strange Company – Find out what it’s like for the cast to work on a Marvel film, and how Director Scott Derrickson engineered one of the most ambitious, imaginative films ever.
- The Fabric of Reality – Take a closer look at the movie’s extraordinary sets, meticulously crafted costumes and amazingly detailed production elements.
- Across Time and Space – Explore the countless hours of dance and fight choreography the actors endured in preparation for their physically demanding roles.
- The Score-cerer Supreme – Join Composer Michael Giacchino and a full orchestra during live recording sessions, and experience the movie’s mind-bending music.
- Marvel Studios Phase 3 Exclusive Look – Get an early peek at Marvel’s spectacular upcoming films, including Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War.
- Team Thor: Part 2 – See more of the hilarious partnership between Thor and his roommate Darryl in this satirical short.
- Deleted Scenes
- Strange Meets Daniel Drumm
- Kaecilius Searches for Answers
- The Kamar-Taj Courtyard
- Making Contact
- Lost in Kathmandu
- Gag Reel
- Audio Commentary by Director Scott Derrickson
Through the Keyhole: The Science of the MCU – Discover how Marvel grounds all its films in real science, and explore the connection between science, magic and imagination.
I haven’t been able to watch all the bonus features as of yet. I do recommend that you watch at least A Strange Transformation and The Fabric of Reality to truly understand what it took to bring this film to life. This film is all about the incredible special effects. I don’t think the film would have been the same without them.
I also recommend that you watch through all the end credits for some “Easter Eggs.” I won’t give them away, but if you are a Marvel fan you’ll want to see them.
Look for Doctor Strange where ever movies are sold.
I have some movie related activities you can download and enjoy for free. Simply click on the graphic (below) to save them to your computer.
Have you seen the film? If so, what did you think about it? Feel free to share your thoughts. I always love to hear from readers.
*I received a free screener copy to review. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own and not influenced in any way.