Today is National Home Safety Day #NPPW



Did you know that this is National Poison Prevention Week (March 17 – 23)? Today is also National Home Safety Day.

I thought I would share some safety tips on how to keep your family safe, including preventing little ones (and pets!) from swallowing coin sized button batteries.

Did you know that every year there are approximately 3,500 incidents of button size batteries being swallowed? They are called in to poison control centers across the U.S. Last year there were 17 severe injuries and two deaths as a result of a child swallowing those small, round batteries. The most severe cases involved 20mm coin lithium batteries, which are about the size of a nickel. These batteries can become stuck in a child’s esophagus and literally burn a hole right through the tissue in as little as two hours. Yes, you read that correctly – BURN A HOLE! How awful!


According to the website, The Battery Controlled; 

Electronic devices are a part of daily life. And they’re getting smaller, slimmer and sleeker. But inside the battery compartment of mini remote controls, small calculators, watches, key fobs, flameless candles, and other electronics, may be one of these very powerful coin-sized button batteries. Small children often have easy access to these devices, and many parents do not know there is a risk.  Energizer is the first to offer child-resistant packaging designed to reduce the occurrence of coin-sized battery ingestions. The innovative new packaging is made from more durable and flexible materials that make it very difficult for young children to open, which also meets Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines for child-resistant packaging.

Please note that pets can swallow small button cell batteries too.

For more important information please take a moment to check out these two links,

Here are some additional tips from the American Association of Poison Control Centers (#NPPW). I encourage all parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, caregivers and anyone who is around children to take a moment and read over these tips.


Home, Safe Home

    • More than 90 percent of poisonings happen in people’s homes, mainly in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.
    • Keep all medicines, household cleaners, garden chemicals and coin lithium button batteries up high where children can’t see or reach them.
    • Never store household and garden chemicals in food containers like cups or bottles.
    • Are your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors working?  Test them every six months and put in fresh batteries.
    • Never mix household cleaning products together. Mixing them could create a poisonous gas.
    • Swallowing a coin lithium button battery can be deadly for a child. Call your local poison center right away if one of these batteries is missing from a toy or other household item and you suspect it may have been swallowed.
    • Do you have questions? Not sure if it’s an emergency? When in doubt, check it out. Call your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222.
    • Start an annual “Home Safety Day.”  Go through each room of the home and make sure there are no poisoning dangers.  Download a checklist from www.aapcc.org/prevention.

Please share these tips with family and friends. They could end up saving someone’s life some day.

I also have additional tips and information in this posts here on my site.

An Important Warning for Parents, Grandparents and Caregivers

Energizer First to Introduce Safe New Child-Resistant Packaging for Coin Lithium Batteries



*I was not compensated for this post. I am sharing this information for the benefit of my site readers. Any opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.

Related Posts:

  • No Related Posts
About Kimberly

Kimberly Vetrano resides in the suburbs of New York City with her family and "mini zoo" consisting of five cats, a dog and a Goldfish. Kimberly is a teacher's assistant for a Kindergarten class. When she is not working or blogging, Kimberly enjoys taking photos of nature and hanging out with family and friends.


  1. Maria Iemma says:

    Kids are curious by nature and will get into everything — thank you for reminding us of the dangers that can be found around the house.

  2. Thanks for the checklist! That’s terrifying about the batteries…I didn’t realize harmful effects could occur so quickly! I’ll definitely be doing a walk through of my home in the near future.

  3. I’m always worried about the kidlets and batteries, considering everything we have around here uses them. Our rechargeable batteries, that we’ve had for a while, have all started to leak acid, or whatever it is that’s in them..

  4. I’m glad that I read about the risk of children ingesting button batteries. I didn’t realize it was such a common occurrence. It also is a very terrifying one. These safety measures should be taken very seriously as little ones can always find ways to get to dangerous items that they might be curious about.

  5. I did not know that so many people swallow these button batteries each year. I try to keep everything up from my pets and from my young nephews whenever they are around.

  6. Donna George says:

    I hate those little button batteries. They are terrible to have around kids, but are found in so many kid toys.

  7. Deborah Mireles says:

    As grandparents we had to go all through our house and baby proof it again after 20 years of not having to worry about it. Its unbelieveable how much stuff lays around that kids can get into!

  8. Joni Mason says:

    Thank you for sharing this! Anything can happen in the blink of an eye and you must be prepared!

  9. What a scary post! We keep all “dangerous” items out of reach and view because we have a dog who will get into ANYTHING!!
    Becca recently posted..Kraft Macaroni & Cheese prize pack

  10. We all know how the little ones love the remotes and phones to play with. This is interesting information for all parents. I never knew that about the lithium batteries either.
    thanks for all the information on National home safety day