*This is a guest post. The opinions expressed are that of the author’s and do not necessarily reflect my own.
We all know by now that some of the best ways to reduce the spread of COVID-19 are to focus on things like social isolation, self-quarantining, washing hands and not touching our faces. But what else can you do to boost the immune system, optimize your health and stay safe?
Dr. Alok Trivedi is a human behavior and performance expert who has spent years studying the neurological and psychological connection to physical health. His patients have been asking him how they can stay healthy and protect themselves.
Here are his 11 tips:
- Drink a lot of water: Staying hydrated is always good advice. As it relates to COVID-19, water can help washout the body and help rid it of viruses. Coconut water is also a good alternative because it has a lot of potassium. When your sodium and potassium levels are in balance, you’re going to be healthier.
- Get enough vitamins and minerals: In other words, eat a lot of fruits and veggies, especially green vegetables. It is best to get the nutrients you need through real living food, but during this pandemic you can also supplement with the use of high-quality vitamins and minerals.
- Boost your immune system with vitamin C, zinc and echinacea. Of course, always talk to your own personal physician first. This can help you avoid the Coronavirus and fight it off if you do get it.
- Drink apple cider vinegar: Drink one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with water each day. The health benefits are many, but as it relates to Coronavirus, it will detox your body, boost the immune system, clear your sinuses and increase your energy.
- Avoid sugar and processed foods: This is also good advice in general, but even more so during these times. Sugar will proliferate a virus. It causes inflammation and obesity. If you can’t cut it out altogether, eliminate it as much as you can. Similarly, avoid processed foods and stick to living foods which will aid in digestion.
- Stay away from acidic foods like meat: Now is a good time to reduce your meat consumption or cut it out all-together. Too much meat brings acidity to the body, or a condition called acidosis. This has a host of side effects that can make it tougher to fight off viruses like COVID such as respiratory issues, kidney problems, fatigue, headache, shortness of breath and more.
- Avoid dairy: Dairy has casein which some people are allergic to. This can cause havoc on your digestive system and brings all kinds of unpleasant side effects, reactions and lower the immune system. Stick to water when possible.
- Don’t drink OJ: While Orange Juice may be high in vitamin C which can boost the immune system, it’s also loaded with sugar. opt for eating a real orange instead which is much healthier and has loads of vitamin C.
- Get a lot of Aerobic exercise. The idea is to get the blood pumping and oxygenate the lungs. One of the simplest ways to do this is to go for a walk every single day. It can help protect you from viruses and is great for your overall health.
- Avoid family arguments: If you are avoiding crowds and self-quarantining, you are going to be spending a lot of time around family. Tensions can quickly rise and you can become stressed. Too much stress lowers the white blood cell count, and white blood cells are needed to fight off infection. Focus on coming together and appreciating the time together.
- Do something productive toward combating the virus: Whether it’s social isolation, self-quarantining, washing your hands, wiping down surfaces in your home, doing something that gives you a sense of accomplishment toward beating the virus is a good immune system boost. It also changes your mental attitude for the better knowing you have taken steps to protect yourself and your family.