When I was a young girl, I had very low self-esteem and self-worth. I was an overweight child, so you can only imagine the bullying I had to endure not only at school, but also out and about. I also had a biological mother who abandoned me as a toddler, so that also made me feel bad about myself (I must be unlovable if my own mother didn’t want me). Sadly, my self-esteem and self-worth issues have carried into my adult life. I wish I was able to change my mind set when I was a child. Perhaps I would be more successful in life if I felt better about myself and what I am capable of.
I often think that these issues are made worse these days due to social media. Kids are bombarded with images of “perfect” people living “perfect” lives, even at a young age. I can only imagine the damage it’s doing on today’s youth.
I work with children. Every now and then (and admittedly I should do it more often) I have kids sit in a circle, turn to the person on either side of them (I’ll pick one side, such as the person to your left which applies to everyone) and say something positive about them. I feel like this is a nice way to show children that others see them in a positive light.
I was recently introduced to a wonderful product that can also help a child value themselves and self-worth with positive affirmations delivered in a snuggly and cuddly way.
Let me introduce you to Believe a Buddy.
Believe a Buddy is an adorable and cuddly plush teddy bear that teaches children self confidence and mindfulness with the help of 52 affirmation cards (included).
Here is a little background on how Believe a Buddy came to be.
In April 2008, Believe a Buddy Founder, Cat Kozuch, was paralyzed in an accident. Doctors told her she would never walk again. Instead of believing in her daunting diagnosis, Cat wrote an affirmation on her hospital whiteboard that stated, “Cat will walk out of here!…duh!”. During her three-month hospital stay, her father was traveling for work, and every time he came back to visit her, he brought her a new teddy bear. The collection of teddy bears were pinned around the whiteboard affirmation. Finally, after weeks of speaking her affirmation out loud a miracle happened, and three months later, Cat walked out of the hospital. Cat’s inspirational affirmation with the blend of cute teddy bears from her father led to the creation of Believe a Buddy.
Believe a Buddy’s plush bear is named Winston (of course your child can give it whatever name they want). Winston is a large, super soft teddy bear is a sweet face. It’s very well made too. When it comes to plush toys I always look for wonky stitching or lose threads. I didn’t not find anything like that on this cutie bear.
On Winston’s stomach you’ll find a fuzzy heart with a clear covering. That is the pouch where you insert one of the 52 included cards that come with Winston. They are easy to swap out simply by sliding the current card out and a new card inside.
Winston comes with a fuzzy case to house all the affirmation cards to keep them safe when not used.
HOW TO USE BELIEVE A BUDDY
- Step 1. Give Believe a Buddy a bear hug to activate his magical powers
- Step 2. Take a few long, deep breaths. The idea is to collect your attention and intention and direct them toward the magic of the bear. This is a moment to teach your child to take a break from the world and to self-reflect. Sitting in stillness for just a few moments before grabbing the Affirmation Card Deck will work wonders for the process.
- Step 3. Grab the Affirmation Card Deck and start shuffling the cards. If you prefer not to shuffle you can spread the cards out face down.
- Step 4. While shuffling the Affirmation Deck close your eyes and ask Believe a Buddy your question. Examples of questions you can ask Believe a Buddy: What affirmation will help me have a magical day? What do I need to know to empower myself today? What affirmation do I need to focus on today?
- Step 5. You can repeat the question in your mind or say it out loud while you shuffle. Stop shuffling when it feels right. Or if you spread your cards out face down pick the card that feels right to you.
- Step 6. Pick the card and read the affirmation out loud 3 times!
- Step 7. Take the affirmation card and put it in the pocket of Believe a Buddy’s belly.
- Step 8. Leave Believe a Buddy out where you can see it and repeat the affirmation throughout the day as many times as you desire.
- Step 9. Share the affirmation with others and have fun spreading the magic with the world!
- Step 10. Believe In yourself and the rest will follow
This might seem like a lot of steps, but honestly, it’s not. Once you’ve done it a few times it will become second nature.
The affirmation cards that come with Believe a Buddy are easy for children to understand. Here are a few examples.
I’ve read through all the cards, and honestly, “I” as an adult can use some of these (especially the energy one, ha ha).
You can change out the cards as much as you feel necessary. There are 52 cards so you can focus on one card per week, or swap them out whenever you feel like your child could use a new one. Since it’s easy enough to do, a child can also switch them out when they feel like they would like a new affirmation to focus on.
Children love toys they can interact with. Believe a Buddy’s Winston is such a toy.
Even after your child doesn’t need the affirmation cards anymore, Winston is still a soft and cuddly teddy bear. You child can sleep with him, snuggle him and take him on the go (but he is big, so keep that in mind).
This is such a genius idea, and so simple too. This is one of those “why didn’t anyone think of this sooner” ideas.
I wish I had Believe a Buddy when I was a child. Perhaps things would have turned out different.
The brand also offers a “Receive a Buddy” donation program. The program provides Believe a Buddy affirmation teddy bears to children with medical disabilities and parents facing financial constraints. What a lovely idea.
Believe a Buddy would make a great gift.
If you would like to learn more, visit the brand online at BelieveaBuddy.com. You can also check the brand out on social media. The brand’s links can be found on the bottom of their website.
What do you think about Believe a Buddy? Feel free to comment and share your thoughts.
*I received a free product sample in order to do this review. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own and not influenced in any way.