Statistics show that 2.7 million brits visited the hospital due to various mishaps at their house. Interestingly, many of these accidents can be traced back to the kitchen. A big chunk of our time is spent in the kitchen, which is filled with hazardous appliances. Naturally, you are more likely to injury in the kitchen.
Hence, it is necessary to take precautions to reduce the perils hiding inside your kitchen. As many of the accidents occur without any warning, you need to identify and offset all viable sources. For example, a knife is liable for about 49% of the incidents happening inside a residence.
So what you can do here is place knives at a place, where it is only accessible to adults. It will prevent risky situations such as children playing with it. In the same way, you need to have your appliances inspected annually, check for gas leaks, and ensure anti-slip flooring in the kitchen to prevent commonly occurring accidents.
If you want to safeguard your home against kitchen safety risks, then continue reading this article for some practical and helpful safety tips:
Gas, Sharp Edge Utensils & Slippery Floors – The Trio Risks in Kitchen
The three most common culprits of kitchen accidents are gas hazards, sharp utensils, and slippery floors.
1. Gas Leakages & Threats of Fire
Gas leakages are one of the head causes of blazing fires that can engulf entire buildings. According to research, natural gas is responsible for causing 40 deaths per year. You don’t need to worry about fire as it doesn’t erupt on its own. So, to subdue the risks of fire, follow these safety tips and precautions in your kitchen.
Safety Tips and Precautions for Gas Leaks in Kitchen
- Always hire a verified professional to inspect your gas pipes, fittings, and appliances. They will conduct a thorough investigation of your gas appliances and issue gas safety certificates with maintenance details.
- To ensure everything is alright, check your gas pipes and appliances once per year.
- Immediately evacuate in case of severe gas leaks since it can make people unconscious or cause poisoning.
- Don’t place flammable objects near your gas stove.
- If you have left something for cooking, then make sure you have a timer to prompt you in time.
2. Sharp Edge Utensils and Risks of Laceration
Sharp edge utensils such as kitchen knives, choppers, and peelers are things that can double the risks of getting hurt with deep cuts. Particularly, if there are children in your home, then they will surely like to play with these items. So, if you want to prevent complications, follow these safety tips and precautions in your kitchen.
Safety Tips and Precautions for Handling Sharp Objects in Kitchen
- While cutting food, maintain focus and don’t get distracted.
- Keep a first aid box in your home to deal with situations such as cuts and injuries.
- Don’t let kids in the kitchen, especially when you are working with sharp utensils.
- Handle knives and other salient objects with extra care while washing.
- Keep your pace slow and take care of your fingers while cutting.
3. Avoiding Trips and Slips inside Kitchen
A kitchen is a place of activity, risks of falling on the floor are inevitable. Food items or fluids might fall on the floor while you are cooking, and if someone walks on it, they will likely slip. Here are a few things you can consider minimizing the risks of tripping.
Safety Tips and Precaution for Avoiding Trips and Slips in Kitchen
- Wear shoes that have good gripping soles and avoid going into the kitchen barefoot.
- Immediately clean up spills or food residue to make sure the floor is clean.
- Don’t run inside the kitchen and try to fix the cluttered floor regions to ensure safe movement.
- Get slip-resistant mates for slippery surfaces. It will make it easier for you to move along without fears of crumpling to the ground.
- To get better results, try using non-slip tiles for kitchen flooring.
- Install a quality kitchen faucet to prevent leaks from happening.
Safety Tips and Precautions to make your Kitchen Activities Safe and Trouble-Free
Whether you are working at a restaurant or cooking at your home, you must take care of all safety protocols. Mishandling, flaws in maintenance, or lack of attention can put lives in peril. In case you are dealing with gas, sharp utensils, and slippery floors. Then it is essential to observe extra vigilance.
You can get ideas from these safety tips and take precautions. It will develop your instincts and let you make the right choices while in a state of emergency.
– Proper cleaning can maximize the lifespan of your appliances
– a tidy kitchen is a safer kitchen
– First aid for kitchen accidents
Which source is more dangerous? Share your views below.
About the author;
Shoaib provides ghostwriting and copywriting services. His educational background in the technical field and business studies helps him in tackling topics ranging from career and business productivity to web development and digital marketing. He occasionally writes articles for Gas Safety Certs.