Now available on digital is the latest installment to the Marvel universe, The Marvels. The film will be available on Blu-ray, Ultra 4K and DVD February 13, 2024.
The Marvels stars Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, Iman Vellani, and Samuel L. Jackson, to name a few.
I normally write my own film synopsis, but I sometimes think I give away too many details. For that reason, I’ll use the official synopsis for this film.
Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole, her powers are entangled with super-fan Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel, and Carol’s estranged niece, astronaut Captain Monica Rambeau. Together, this unlikely trio must team up and work together to save the universe.
Admittedly, I have never seen Captain Marvel. I own the film (I own all the Marvel films), but it’s not one that I’ve got around to watching yet. For that reason, I wasn’t entirely familiar with Carol Danvers backstory. I also didn’t know the backstory for Captain Rambeau.
I’m sure many celebrities are used to dealing with “super fans,” but Kamala Khan takes super fan to a whole new level. She lives and breaths Captain Marvel, so you can only imagine how much she goes full out “fan girl” when she meets her idol in person.
In the beginning of the film, when all three characters (Captain Marvel, Capain Rambeau and Kamala) keep switching back and forth between one another was a bit confusing. Thankfully it’s not as chaotic as the film goes on.
This is a Marvel film so you know it’s going to have some spectacular special effects. The destruction of the Tarnax colony is epic and it’s hard to believe that it’s not a real place.
I LOVE Captain Marvel’s cat Goose. He’s an alien cat known as a Flerken. He adds some fun comic relief to the film.
If you are familiar with Marvel films you know that you need to watch the credits until the very end because there is always an “Easter egg” to be found that possibly hints at another Marvel film. This film also has an “Easter egg” at the end involving Captain Rambeau. Another movie perhaps? We’ll see…
Over all I enjoyed the film. It’s prompted me to FINALLY watch Captain Marvel, which I plan on doing this weekend.
I enjoyed the film. It wasn’t my favorite Marvel film, but it was still very entertaining and action packed with spectacular special effects.
If you purchase the Blu-ray, Ultra 4K or DVD version of the film there is some bonus content.
- Entangled– Take a cosmic trip behind the scenes on The Marvels with the cast and crew of the film. Learn how director Nia DaCosta and the team took on such a vast production, and dive deeper with more details about Marvel’s first ever musical number.
- The Production Diaries– Experience the lively, upbeat set of The Marvels as cast and crew recall candid and heartwarming moments, along with hilarious anecdotes.
- Captain-in-Residence– Kamala finds herself in Carol’s ship after an unexpected switch and incredulously picks up a call from Valkyrie.
- It’s Under Control– Carol, Kamala, and Monica find themselves brainstorming for solutions on Aladna.
- Space Yoga– Muneeba teaches yoga while an exasperated Nick Fury looks on.
- The Chase– Chaos ensues as Ty-Rone chases Kamala in a tension-filled scene.
- Watch some hilarious outtakes on set with the cast and crew of The Marvels.
- Listen to co-writer/director Nia DaCosta and VFX Supervisor Tara DeMarco talk about the film.
*Bonus features vary by product and retailer
I received a free digital screener of the film so I did not see the bonus content.
The Marvels is rated PG-13 and has a run time of an hour and forty-five minutes.
For more information about the Marvel Studios you can visit their official website as well as on social media.
The official hashtag for the film is #TheMarvels.
Below is the film’s trailer for your enjoyment.
Did you see The Marvels? If so, feel free to comment and share your thoughts about the film. I always love to hear from readers.
*I received a free copy of the film. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own and not influenced in any way.