Do you always get a good night’s sleep every night? Or are you like millions of people who simply cannot stop from tossing and turning all night long?
I’m a horrible sleeper. I always have been. I tend to take naps which makes it hard for me to get to sleep at night because I have already rested a bit. I also have a difficult time turning my mind “off”. I always stress about the things I need to do the following day, or I stress about other things in my life. My husband always says that I need an “off switch” so I can turn my mind off at night.
My husband snores too. Sometimes it’s so load that I think the roof is going to come off. LOL! That also attributes to my poor sleep at night. In addition we sleep on a sofa bed – need I say more? If you have ever had to sleep on a sofa bed night after night you know just how uncomfortable they can be. I wish they could make a sofa bed without that horrible bar in the middle.
Did you know that May is Better Sleep Month? To help YOU get a better night’s sleep I have some great tips from Kerri Walsh Jennings to share with you.
Kerri Walsh Jennings, volleyball Olympian, is a mother of three (just had her third baby) that is constantly on the go. She has teamed up with Tempur-Pedic for Better Sleep Month (May) to bring some advice to other new moms trying to finds some time herself, figuring out the juggle and just making it through the day. She says:
1) Take nothing for granted and don’t assume anything!
- Eat well — the less-processed your food the better (shocker!). I love to snack on fresh fruit, cottage cheese, a raw nut trail mix and a ton of water. I get sick of water alone so I add Nano Greens to my water every day which takes care of my fruit and veggie needs.
- Pack well
- Sleep well on a bed that supports your body – “I absolutely love my Tempur-Pedic. With my first two kids, I remember I would always get achy when doing feeds in bed and then I would be uncomfortable all night. Fortunately, with my Tempur-Pedic, that hasn’t happened once with my little Scout. And believe me, getting a good night’s sleep is more important than ever!” (Kerri owns a California King TEMPUR-Weightless Select)
- Talk things out
2) Preparation is key to “success”. Anything that can be done beforehand is done beforehand. Whether it’s laying out the boys outfits for school, making their lunches, making lists and checking them twice … When we are prepared, it allows us to get things done, adjust to the unexpected when necessary and gives us a sense of security and sanity.
3) Team work: this is our mindset for every little thing we do. Every great team communicates well and this is how we manage all the moving parts. We are all “role” players that make the magic happen. We set a plan, do our parts, work together and get it done.
4) Expect the unexpected. I constantly remind myself of the fact that nothing in life is perfect and that we need to be ready for anything. It’s impossible to stay on top of everything but if my mindset is to be ready for anything, I find I generally am.
5) Smile and breathe. Life is a challenge. Period. Set the tone of your day and of your family by taking the challenges on with a smile. A smile makes everything better. And there is no substitute for some good deep breaths!
I like her last tip. I try to look at life that way but sometimes it’s hard to do it that way.
- I would also like to add to this list…
- No caffeine past dinner time.
- Don’t eat anything heavy before bedtime.
- Try to find something soothing and relaxing to do before bedtime such as reading a book.
- Make sure your bedroom is at a comfortable temperature. If possible make it slightly cooler. People tend to sleep better when it’s cool.
- If your spouse or partner snores try to find ways to get them to snore less (if not at all).
- Get a sound machine (one that has sounds like the ocean or river) to help drown out other noises (such as cars, trucks and noisy neighbors).
I WISH I could have a REAL bed. That is one of my dreams in life (no pun intended). My husband and I have not had a real bed to sleep in for 12 years. It’s either been air mattresses, sofa beds or for a brief time a daybed with trundle. I would LOVE a Tempur-Pedic bed! They look so plush and “inviting”. Plus there is no bar to jab you in the back all night long like we have with a sofa bed.
We’ve thought about one of the Tempur-Pedic mattress toppers for our sofa bed but the only problem is we couldn’t close the bed up with the topper on and if we took it off we would have place to store it until it was bedtime again.
If/When we are ever able to move from here the FIRST thing we are buying is a bed. Everything else can wait. And after years of not having a decent bed to sleep in my husband and I plan on getting the top of the line bed and mattresses (well, at least what we can afford). Tempur-Pedic is our top choice.
To help me get a better night’s sleep Tempu-Pedic sent me one of their Tempur-Cloud Pillows.
Here is a little more information about the pillow.
The TEMPUR-Cloud Pillow combines the softness you want in a pillow with the comforting head and neck support you need to relax. Treat yourself to the wonderfully soft feeling of sleeping on a cloud.
Use: Back sleep, Side sleep, Stomach sleep
- TEMPUR-ES® material sleeve filled with shapeable TEMPUR-ES micro-cushions that adjusts as you need
- Supports head, neck and shoulders, allowing muscles to fully relax for more restful sleep
- Removable and washable cover
- Dust mite and allergen-resistant
This pillow is VERY thick and soft. It’s like a giant (firm) marshmallow. It even comes in a really nice tote. I actually saved the tote and used it to house some of my Winter blouses.
I slept on the pillow for a few nights. It’s very comfy and it cradles your head and neck. It feels unlike any other pillow I have ever tried before. Unfortunately for me my head sinks deep into the pillow. It’s fine for when I am trying to sleep but often I lie up in bed watching TV for a bit until I’m tired. It was hard for me to use this pillow and watch TV because my head would sink into the pillow.
I let my husband try the pillow out. He loved it. In fact he has yet to give it back to me! LOL!
We normally buy pillows that cost around $10 – $20 each (in this case you DO get what you pay for). When I told my husband the pillow retails for $129 he laughed. He said that it was “insane” and that it was “just a pillow“. He ate his words the first time he laid his head on it. He’s in love with the pillow. He says his head just “melts inside the pillow”. I’ve noticed that he tends to go to sleep very quickly now. Instead of tossing and turning to get comfortable he just seems to put his head down and he’s out cold in minutes.
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but my husband seems to snore less now that he’s using this pillow. Please DON’T assume that this pillow is a cure for snoring. That has NOT be proven. I’m only saying from my PERSONAL experience my husband seems to snore less. Whether there is a connection or not I don’t know. I’m just happy to get a decent night’s sleep for a change. 🙂
I would love to know what it feels like to sleep on a Tempur-Pedic bed. If the pillow is so soft and dreamy (no pun intended), the mattress must be equally as heavenly.
Tempur-Pedic products are sold online as well as many retail locations.
Tempur-Pedic would like to help a lucky winner get a better night’s sleep with one of their Tempur-Cloud Pillow.
This giveaway is open to US residents only and will end on May 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM (EST). The winner will be chosen at random using a random number generator from all eligible entries. The winner will be notified via e-mail and will have three days to reply or a new winner will be chosen in their place.
To enter please comment on this post and tell me what you do personally to ensure that you have a good night’s sleep?
For extra entries you can use the Rafflecopter widget (below) but you must complete the initial entry requirement or the additional entries won’t qualify (I do check). Extra entries are optional.
*I received a free product sample in order to do this review. There was no compensation. The opinions expressed are my own and not influneced in any way.